It is very likely that in recent times you have heard the words quite often marijuana budIt is that they certainly seem like terms that are very fashionable, but do you really know what they mean, what they are for and what they refer to?
If you have come this far it is because you want to answer the previous questions and you also want learn everything about marijuana buds, then grow your own cannabis correctly; so let's not waste any more time and get started right away.
What are marijuana buds and what are they for?
The term bud is not exclusive to marijuana but can belong to any plant, as it is nothing more than the bud that emerges just before flowering occurs.
To understand the above, it is necessary to limit that marijuana can be female, male and hermaphroditic, the former being the only one capable of producing buds or shoots.
These are shaped like little white knots that can be used for growing cannabis.
Part of the marijuana buds
In the previous section it was stated that the female cannabis plant is responsible for producing buds, which is why it is essential to know its parts:
- Tail: It is the upper part of the female plant in which the buds come together. The tail can be main (upper part) or lateral (they grow on the sides of the branch).
- Chalice: It refers to the marijuana flower, it is shaped like a tear and has a greater amount of trichomes (THC and CBD).
- Pistils: They are the little hairs that come out of the calyxes. Its color usually changes during the flowering process.
- Trichomes: They are the little antennas that stick out from the buds. They change color during the flowering process. Their importance lies in the fact that they are actually resin glands.
- Cotyledon: It is the first leaf after the germination of the plant.
- Stem: It is the main part of the plant and comes from the root of it.
- Fan blades: They are the leaves as such of the marijuana plant, these come from the main stem and grow in pairs.
Fattening marijuana buds. Tips and Tricks
So far you already know what a bud is and you also know its parts, now, to get a good harvest, the most important thing is that you make sure you get fat and robust shoots. For this we give you the following tips and tricks:
Light is indispensable
Any type of plant depends on light to grow beautiful and lush. The case of marijuana is no exception. That is why you must make sure your buds get the right lightWhether you grow indoors or outdoors, it will largely depend on whether the flowers get fat.
If you grow indoorsThe infallible trick is to place your plants in a place where they receive light for a period of 18 hours while the buds are growing. On the other hand, when the flowering process takes place, then the recommendation is to expose them for periods of 12 hours.
However, if you grow outdoors, then it is advisable to choose the appropriate season for your cultivation, that is why we recommend the months from March to June, so that you take full advantage of the benefits of sunlight to fatten your buds and obtain an excellent harvest.
Space is not to be underestimated
When growing cannabis, be sure to choose the right space, that is, one that allow your buds to develop freely, that way you will get more and better results in the same space.
The general recommendation is that for each m2 a maximum of 12 plants are planted, which you must make sure they receive the adequate amount of light. This must be paid more attention when it comes to growing indoors.
According to the above, you can make use of a couple of techniques; SOG and SCROG:
SOG (Sea Of Green)
Consists in place more number of buds per m2, for this the buds must be small to ensure that receive the same amount of light. The main advantage it presents is that the care can be carried out more easily.
SCROG (Screen Of Green)
In this case, fewer plants are used for cultivation, therefore, the idea is that the plants grow upwards and not sideways, That is why a single branch called a guide is used, which is expected to develop many branches from which the buds will be obtained.
Fertilizer is important
Like any plant, cannabis will also need a good fertilizer, in this way the chances of the buds becoming fatter will be greater.
The recommendation is that you do not use just any fertilizer, but that you opt for those enriched with nutrients, so the plants will feed correctly and healthily, which can be evidenced in the final stage of the processes; both growth and flowering.
Weather conditions need to be controlled
It is not about sowing, putting under the light and now, it is also aspects such as temperature and humidity need to be kept under control, in this way you will be able to do the right and necessary watering so that your buds get fat as you wish.
It is recommended that indoors the room temperature is between 20 ºC and 23 ºC, while the relative humidity must be between 21% and 25%. The recommendation is that you get a high-precision household hygrometric meter to control such values.
This will not only help you to carry out the correct watering, but also to avoid the pests that make their appearance during the flowering process.
How to know if the marijuana buds have stopped fattening?
The female of the marijuana plant begins to produce buds from the first week of flowering, but it is from week 4 when these small knots begin to grow fat, from then on this process will take the next 3 weeks ( it is during this time that all the tricks must be applied to achieve maximum weight gain), that is, at week 7 the buds will stop getting fat.
One way to check is observing the trichomes of the buds, which are nothing more than those little antennae that come out of the buds.
When looking at the trichomes with a magnifying glass, they will be transparent at the beginning of flowering and solid white when the buds are mature.
What is a "bud buster", what is it for and when to use it?
A bud buster is nothing more than a substance that is used during the flowering stage in cannabis cultivation, which is composed of nutrients, vitamins and other additives that favor the fattening of the buds and allow to obtain a higher quality crop.
Types of "bud busters"
Among the most common bud busters you will find the following:
- Flowering stimulators: They increase the production of resin in the marijuana plant, advance flowering and promote the appearance of more flowers.
- PK (phosphorus and Potassium): It is an additive dedicated to the fattening of the buds, since they are responsible for making the plants increase their weight and volume.
How to prevent mold from appearing on your buds?
When growing marijuana, especially outdoors it is quite common for mold to appear. This is especially the case in seasons when temperatures drop. However, in indoor crops this enemy can also appear due to uncontrolled humidity.
If you don't want to lose your crop to mold, I recommend that you follow the following recommendations:
- Keep humidity levels under control. (make use of a hygrometer).
- Place the plants in a properly ventilated space.
- Prune the leaves of the plants.
- Water the root of the plant and prevent the buds and leaves from getting wet.
- Use special additives that keep the buds free of pests.
Before cutting the marijuana buds you must do the following
Once the flowering stage has come to an end and the buds have matured, it is time to cut them. For this you need to get sterilized scissors.
Choose those marijuana buds that are well ripe and formed, use the scissors to cut them and then take them to dry. Read the next section and find out how to do it.
How to dry marijuana buds?
Drying the marijuana buds is very important, since if this process is not carried out correctly, they can be damaged. That is why it is advisable that you take your time at this stage.
The premise is to place the buds in a space or place that is not very ventilated and dark.However, there are different drying methods that, according to your convenience, you can choose the one that suits you best:
- Food dehydrator: If you have one of these devices, all you have to do is put your buds inside and set the minimum temperature. After a couple of days you will have them dry and ready to use.
- Ovens: You can put your buds in a conventional oven or in a microwave oven. These can be considered as quick drying methods. In the first case, 50 seconds and a temperature of 80 ºC will be necessary, while in the second case, 25 seconds at medium power are sufficient.
- Carton box: This method is not that fast, but it is one of the most effective. It consists of making a kind of clothesline for your buds inside a cardboard box. Once you have cured them, you must close the box and wait 15 days for use.
- Mesh drying: Place the buds on the tiered meshes, then put the device in a dark place, wait about 15 days and the buds will be ready.
Remember that regardless of the drying method chosen, it is recommended that the buds must be free of leaves and totally clean.